For those who are unfamiliar with track spikes, here are a few sources to find some for your athlete. For new parents: pay special attention to sizing. Spikes tend to run much smaller than normal shoe sizes. Also, spikes and replacements spikes need to be 1/4" spikes only! Spikes should be checked regularly and replaced whenever they are worn down.
- A good sprint (50m-400m) or middle distance (800m-1500m) spike should be sufficient for all of our athletes. Unless otherwise told by a coach, avoid purchasing cross country flats or long distance spikes. For the visual folks: spikes that include a heel are not sprint spikes!
- Spike types are generally denoted in the name:
- Nike Zoom Rival D (distance); Zoom Rival MD (middle distance); Zoom Rival S (sprints) for example
- If your athlete is wearing adult sizes already (for guys: size 7 and above; for young ladies: size 5.5 and above), Dick's , Academy Sports, and Capital City Runners are good local options to choose from; you shouldn't have issues finding anything in-store or on-line at those sites. For youth sizes locally, things are MUCH harder, but Ross, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx often carry smaller track spikes although the selection is often hit or miss.
- For those needing youth sizes, finding a good pair of spikes is a little more difficult. Here is what I found which should make your spike-shopping a little easier. This list by no means is all-encompassing, but should be a good start (click the store name to open a separate window):
- Fitness Sports- from a selection standpoint, probably the best on-line option their is. This website gives you a full detail description on each spike and gives you specific sizing info ("runs 1 size small" for example). They carry adult sizes as well. You cannot order from this site on-line; They are old school as they accept phone orders and are very reputable site/company. I have personally used them for 8 years with no issues.
- Running Warehouse- has good options in the medium price range depending on your size needs. Most should be familiar with this site. Good assortment of youth sizes.
- VS Athletics- - very good selection and medium price. Reputable company that has supplied track equipment to Zoom in the past.
- First to the Finish - very good website and reputable company that sells more than spikes.
- 6pm.com- another discount retailer with track spikes available at discounted prices
- Dick Pond Athletics- very good selection of spikes and event specific shoes.
- BSN Sports- new player in the field, but has spikes and training equipment